Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The best intentions





Olav H. Hauge

A Poem Every Day

I want to write a poem every day,
every day.
That should be easy enough.
Browning kept at it, though
he rhymed and
counted beats
with bushy eyebrows.
So, a poem every day.
Something strikes you,
something happens,
something catches your notice.
– I get up. It’s light now.
I’ve the best intentions.
And see the bullfinch rising from the cherry tree,
where he’s stealing my buds.


translated from the Norwegian by Robin Fulton

from Olav H. Hauge, Leaf-Huts and Snow-Houses, Translated by Robin Fulton, Anvil, 2003.

1 comment:

Mark Granier said...

I like that one Peter, even if there's a danger that all future beats will sport bushy eyebrows.

Featured post

Call for applications for the Kavanagh Fellowship, 2021

  Call for applications for the Kavanagh Fellowship, 2021 Trustees of the estate of Katherine Kavanagh ,  3 Selskar Terrace, Ranelagh, Dubli...